It’s not a real cake (it doesn’t even need to be baked) and it’s probably the unhealthier treat I’ve ever made, BUT it’s incredibly good! The so called ‘Mars Cake’ was a staple in every children party I took part in when I was a kid. This treat was all-present for different reasons: kids love everything that tastes like chocolate bars, one can easily make a ton of it and it’s stain-proof (just try to figure out a horde of 20 kiddos running around the house with a double layer cake filled with chocolate and whipped cream in their hands…Mars Cake is a safer solution for couches, curtains and carpets!). I would also suggest you to involve your children (but definitely not 20 of them!) while making this cake. No mess, no stress but lots of fun for both of you, I guarantee! It takes no more than 10 minutes to make plus 20 more to cool down in the fridge, and you will have a great result with no effort at all! To obtain a crispier version of Mars Cake use Rice Krispies instead of normal puffed rice, like I did.
– 3 oz puffed rice (or Rice Krispies)
– 1/3 cup butter
– 6 Mars Bars
- Cut Mars Bars and butter into chunks and put them into a saucepan.
- Heat on medium until melted (or use the microwave max power 10-20 seconds intervals, stirring each time until melted).
- Once Mars and butter are completely melted and smooth remove from heat and add puff rice/Rice Krispies. Mix gently with a wooden spoon.
- Press the mixture into a lined shallow tray or cake tin with the back of a metal spoon.
- Chill Mars Cake in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, then cut into squares (or slices).
- Extra kick: Before refrigerating, melt some chocolate and pour over the mixture, chill in the fridge for at least an hour then cut to serve.